Situated in the extreme east of Hampshire, adjoining both Surrey and West Sussex, the parish of Bramshott and Liphook includes Liphook itself and the hamlets of Bramshott, Conford, Griggs Green, Hammer Vale and Passfield. Bramshott, originally the main settlement surrounding the Parish Church of St. Mary’s, has long been outgrown by nearby Liphook which, due to the coaching trade and the advent of the railway, became the parish centre.
This borderland of three counties, is renowned for its beautiful scenery of rich and varied woodlands and colourful heaths rising to nearly 700 feet above sea level at Bramshott. The River Wey flows through the Parish. Extensive areas in and around the Parish are in the ownership of the National Trust.
Liphook is just off the A3 London – Portsmouth Road. Liphook is 4 miles south-west of Hindhead, 8 miles north of Petersfield and 4 miles west of Haslemere. London is 46 miles away. Liphook Station is on the South Western Railway line from London Waterloo to Portsmouth with a regular service, and the journey time between Liphook and London is approximately one hour.
Bus routes link Liphook with Haslemere, Alton, and other surrounding towns. The nearest airports are Gatwick, Heathrow and Southampton.
Liphook was first designated as a Conservation Area in April 1977. It was extended in October 1992.
The Conservation Area centres upon The Square and the roads leading off of it and includes several notable buildings including: The Royal Anchor Hotel dating from the late 17th Century, which is the only three-storey building in the Conservation Area, The Tap House, a 16th Century single storey house, The Ship House dating from late 18th or early 19th Century, The Green Dragon from the 17th Century and Chiltlee Manor believed to have been built in the late 17th Century, Osborne House begun around 1730, The Rectory designed by an Arts and Crafts architect H I Triggs which has a garden on the national register of important gardens and The Old Post Office built in 1933 in ‘Post Office Georgian’.
In October, on ‘the night the clocks go back’ Liphook hosts a Carnival celebration which is one of the biggest in Southern England. Decorated floats process around the village followed by a Fireworks display. Everyone is welcome to enter floats and there is no entry fee.
Liphook in Bloom
Each summer local residents and businesses within the Parish prepare floral displays that are judged in a village wide competition. The presentation and prize giving evening is usually held in October. In addition, the Liphook in Bloom team plant floral decorations for both Summer and Winter. Everyone is welcome to help.
A quarterly magazine is delivered, free of charge, to each household in the Parish. It contains local news, profiles of local residents and information on the many local clubs and societies.
Area – 6540 acres (2616 hectares)
Population – 8491 (2011 census)
The Haskell Centre, Midhurst Road.
Open Monday – Friday 10am – 1pm
Telephone: 01428 722988
The Parish Office provides information on how to report local problems (such as litter, potholes or street light faults), and how to contact East Hampshire District Council and Hampshire County Council to access their services. The Senior Administration Officer can provide local information and the office has a range of leaflets covering local and public information as well as local attractions.